7/13/09

Things I Have Learned

This is where the Vietnamese Embassy is located. Its in a place called Motoyoyogi, near Yoyogi-koen station. I was lost for a bit trying to find the place, but using my newfound Japanese skills I was able to piece together directions. Walking around was beautiful though.


Japan has taught me so much about culture differences. I had no idea what to expect when I stepped off the plane, but I know that never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined a place like this.

Japan is an extremely strict culture. Bowing is a must, hugging is weird. I learned this when I hugged one of my new Japanese friends. She stepped on my foot, and both our faces turned the same way. We awkwardly hugged with our cheeks pressed together. I will never try that again.

While Japan is strict, there are some strange exceptions to this type of social discipline. For example, people can walk around in public (sidewalks, parks, subways, trains... anywhere) drinking a beer or a yummy chu-hai (this is kind of like a cooler, but definitely sneaks up on you!). I could not get over this. It felt so strange to be walking around bustling Shibuya with open liquor. Its going to suck getting back to Canada! haha

Being caucasin is a blessing and a curse. I can play the dumb "gaigin" card and get away with plenty of stuff. Most of the time I legitimately have no idea what is going on, but sometimes I can pretend... and get out of some pretty sticky Japanese situations (example: I'm a couple yen short of train fare, so I run through the Gate. When I walk back into the station next, I obviously can't use my card to get on the train. So I go to the gate supervisors and explain that I am confused. They usually don't even bother trying to explain to me, and just let me into the station, getting rid of the money I owe on my card.. muahaha.) Sometimes its not so good though. For example, its really hot in Japan right now. Humidity is stifling and the heat is unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Naturally I want to wear a tank top and shorts- but this is pretty faux-pas. Showing skin draws some pretty questionable attention, so instead a sleeved t-shirt and capris it is. Even though its about 30 degrees here, everyone wears pants and a jacket. I just can't believe it.

Eating in public is not a good idea. While it is not illegal or anything, its just taboo and disrespectful. I guess this is another instance where I play the oblivious tourist card... When a girl's got to eat, shes got to eat.

2 comments:

  1. some food is just meant to be eaten walking down the street - ice cream, hotto motto, ice cream, ice cream.

    ReplyDelete