7/13/09

Inokashira Park

Inokashira is a park near the Ghibli Museum. Naomi and I were planning on going to the Ghibli, but with ticket confusion and homework mounting, we ended up wandering around the park instead.

If I was looking for Japanese hippies, I would have to go no further than here. Right on a lake, Inokashira Park was in a forest outside of Mitaka. It was beautiful, and the vibes of this place were awesome. It felt almost Canadian! People were practicing hula and juggling, people were playing bongos, old men were reading stories to a small crowd of kids gathered around them, and couples rented little row boats to paddle around in the sun together.



People were selling their artwork, jewelry, kaitai charms and more. I had the best ice cream ever (Creme Brule, drool) and sat around in the sun enjoying the park. It was a great Sunday afternoon.




They played La Cucarocha and I almost died. Best musical group ever.

This was a super awesome little trio. They obviously made their instruments (except for the banjo). The woman was playing a washboard with some bells attached to it with spoons. The man beside her was playing a stand up base substitute which was a large bucket with a string and stick on it. Pretty original.

3 comments:

  1. la cucaracha! la cucaracha! please stay out of my room...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I ammmm sad you didn't go to the Ghibli museum, but this park looks pretty excellent. Also, I think you should know that I'm reading an article about environmentalism in "Princess Mononoke"for my correspondence class.

    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Eva you're the best.
    I'm going to the Ghibli when I get back from Loas! Not to worry, I wouldn't miss that for the world

    ReplyDelete