5/15/09

Kyoto


Last week was a holiday for students and business men alike in Japan. It's called Golden Week, and it really is a little golden ray of sunshine in anyone's schedule.

I decided to head down to Kyoto, a World Heritage Site, and home to most of Japan's most famous temples and art.

I took the night bus to save money, which I did, but the ride sucked. It was 6 hours in total and I couldn't sleep since I was fighting against the AC pumping right next to me and the lights on overhead.

Once I got to Kyoto though, I had forgotten all about the bus trip. It was only about 7 in the morning and we weren't able to check into our hotel till about 11. I found a park and lay down. sleeeppp finally.

I visited tons of temples and art galleries, and I saw plenty of Geisha and Maiako while I was there. Its like all of the stereotypes of Japan are alive and kicking in Kyoto. Its kind of strange though since it feels so manufactured and manicured. The forests are all beautiful and the temples are great, but every corner you round there is a booth set up selling kaitai charms (cell phone charms) or post cards. I thought it was hilarious when I saw a man sweeping, with a broom, the forest floor to keep it clean. While it was beautiful at the temples, I could plainly see how much work went into preserving and capitalizing off of these places. Don't get me wrong, I loved it- I was totally a tourist walking around in awe, but I was also very aware of how much this city depended on its tourists to come and see their National Heritage Destination.

Pictured above is The Golden Temple. I loved it.

1 comment:

  1. now that's a house i don't think i could live in

    ReplyDelete